Pages

Sunday 8 September 2013

Kabuli Chana Chawal (Chana Dal Pilau Rice)


As a Bangladeshi, I have been used to my rice being accompanied by a gravy laden curry.  The first time my sister-in-law prepared this and brought it to the table with nothing but Hara Chutney (green chutney) and Raita (yoghurt dish), I thought she’d forgotten the curry in the kitchen.  When my in-laws began to tuck in, I realised that this was it – this was the entire meal!  I quietly filled my plate and began eating.  My mind started to think about what I would eat later as this possibly couldn’t satisfy me.

I couldn’t have been more wrong!

This is great when you want a simple dish – no fuss – no fanfare – just a great tasting meal.

Credit to my sister-in-law, Faiza, who taught me how to cook this....

 Serves: approx 8
Prep/Cooking Time: approx 80 minutes

Ingredients:

(To prepare the Chana Dhal)
½ cup chana dhal
5 cups water
1 tsp salt

(To complete the Kabuli Dish)
2 cups rice
½ onion
6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
1 inch piece ginger finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
1 tsp black peppercorns
Handful chopped fresh mint
Handful chopped coriander
2-3 chopped chillies
3 cups water
5 tbs oil
1½  tsp salt

Preparation:

1. Prepare the chana dhal by boiling the 5 cups of water in a saucepan. Once the water has boiled, add the pulses and salt.  Simmer over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes or until the dhal is soft to the touch (but not mushy).  Drain any excess water and set aside.

2. In a large saucepan heat oil on low-medium heat and add garlic, ginger, whole spices (cloves, pepper, bay leaves & cinnamon).  Stir gently for 30 seconds so that the flavours are released.  Stir in the onion and salt and cover.  After approximately 5 minutes the onions will have softened and become translucent.

  
3. Add the washed rice, chana dhal, mint, coriander, green chilli and water.  Stir well and increase heat to high (unless you use boiling water in which case, moderate/medium heat).


  
4. When water has boiled, reduce heat to medium/moderate and simmer for 20 minutes (or until water has evaporated and rice is ¾ cooked).  Stir through with a fork and reduce heat to low or set on the smallest hob (on low).  Stir through with a fork and remove after 5 minutes. 


Enjoy it on its own or with condiments and curry.  This dish is traditionally eaten in Pakistan accompanied by *Hara Chutney (green chutney) and Raita (yoghurt based dish) – as pictured above. 

*Hara Chutney recipe also available – see Dips/Sauces


No comments:

Post a Comment